Release Date: Each June
Professional Accreditation: Nuffield Farming Scholarships Trust
Lead Organisation: IBERS, Aberystwyth University
This 40 credit module is only available to recipients of the Nuffield Farming Scholarship. The module runs for 12 months and aims to provide a route by which Nuffield Scholars who have already completed their report can build upon their study tour and work towards a postgraduate qualification.
Upon successful completion of this module students will be able to:
- Explain the current and future challenges facing the UK’s agri-food sector.
- Synthesise information from industry and peer reviewed literature.
- Compare the approaches taken to address specific challenges to the industry.
- Evaluate the extent to which new approaches and practices might be applied to UK based systems.
The module consists of 3 months of taught content followed by 9 months of self-directed study.
- Scientific Reports
- Research Articles
- Writing and Referencing Styles
- Data Organisation
- Data Characterisation
- Data Analysis
- Data Presentation
- Alternative Dissemination Methods
- Literature Review - 2000 words (20% of module marks)
- Report - 6000 words (65%)
- Presentation or other Dissemination Activity - 20 minutes or 2000 words (15%)
Qualifiactions within which this module may be used as an option:
[The most enjoyable aspect of studying this module was] furthering my understanding of scientific writing. [I will use what I have learned] to review and amend my work to meet a more challenging audience
The opportunity to subject my Nuffield study to the academic rigour of a Postgrad module with IBERS has been invaluable both in developing my recommendations to the industry and adding weight and credibility to my conclusions. IBERS has been really flexible and being involved with a university after such a long time has been a refreshing experience!